Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The National

My one reader might have noticed I have a thing for British bands. Call me old-fashioned, but I like the Beatles better than the Rolling Stones. Unfortunately for me, one of the best bands of all times originates from the States and is called The National. Hailing from Ohio, the 5 members of the band are currently recording in Brooklyn, New York. I don't know what to say about this band besides the fact it's absolutely brilliant. They have a certain British working-class sound but without the depressing Oasis lyrics. There's a certain hopefulness in them.

The first song I heard of The National was Mistaken for Strangers on the now-defunct radio station KinK FM. I will share it with you, my reader, for your listening pleasure.



The baritone voice of Matt Berninger makes for a nice change in a world of crappy vocalists these days, and the music is just, well, spot on.

A nice, easy song of theirs is Slow Show. It's live as far as I can tell.



From their 2010 album High Violet comes this jewel called Anyone's Ghost:



The last song I'd like to share with you is Cherry Tree off of the album with the same name. Not the loudest or hardest of songs. But it's not that kind of band.



Next week I promise I will do something more guitary. After all, music has so many fun aspects and there's so /much/ music to cover!

Cheers
Nargoth

5 comments:

  1. Their lyrics might not be depressing (actually never listened to them closely enough) but I find their sound TOTALLY depressing...

    Sometimes it is not what you say but how you say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, reminds me a little of Morrison. This is two weeks I've enjoyed the music though... must be something wrong with Nargipoo

    ReplyDelete