Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A book by any other name

Favorite Book/Series -- Fantasy Edition

Lord of the Rings
5 (22%)
Harry Potter
2 (9%)
Wheel of TIme
3 (13%)
A Song of Ice & Fire
3 (13%)
Mistborn Trilogy
4 (18%)
Discworld Series
2 (9%)
The Malazan
0 (0%)
The Name of the Wind
1 (4%)
Lies of Locke Lamora
1 (4%)
Shannara Series
1 (4%)

Votes so far: 22

We appear to be a well read lot, at least in the fantasy genre if the spread of votes is any indication. LotR just barely won, I believe it was the very last vote that pushed it over the edge, showing we are also traditional scum -- shame on you! Mistborn came in 2nd, along with the Wheel of Time I kind of doubled up (1.5 up'd?) on Brandon Sanderson, but I'm apparently not the only one who likes him. If you haven't given any of his books a try I recommend him. The Malazan Book of the Fallen is our only real loser. To obscure or just not well liked?

Honestly, I have read and liked almost all of these series at some point, and would recommend them all if you like these sorts of books but I want to give a special shout out to The Lies of Locke Lamora (Book 1 of The Gentleman Bastards). If you are a GRRM fan, and you haven't read Scott Lynch make sure to rectify that problem posthaste.

Tofu

13 comments:

  1. Why can we only vote on only one book? Bad bad Furk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word is "Favorite" Ghetto. Singular, not plural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some other old school fantasy series of note (off the top of my head):
    Dragon Lance Chronicles: Hickman and Weiss
    also the Legends - Time / War / Test of the Twins: Hickman and Weiss
    Guardians of the Flame: Joel Rosenberg
    Drenai Series by David Gemmell

    Newer Series that I've enjoyed:
    The Prince of Nothing trilogy: Scott Bakker
    Kingmaker, Kingbreaker: Karen Miller
    Chronicles of the Raven: James Barclay
    American Gods: Neil Gaiman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talking about oldschool fantasy

    Saga of Pliocene Exile: Julian May

    or is that TOO oldschool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to label Pliocene Exile as more SF than old school fantasy myself.

      Delete
    2. Oh come on... they have elves... and goblins.... real ones... the ones that were the basis of all the fantasy stories...

      Delete
  5. Darstard, I have heard good things about Scott Bakker, James Barclay and of course David Gemmell, they are on my to read list. And though I enjoyed American Gods, Hickman & Weiss, they didn't strike me as top 10. These lists are always really biased, this one just happens be my bias ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah you hit none of my favorite reads, none of my regular authors. I was a bit disappointed in that. I will have to share a list of authors that you missed and MUST read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect if Tolkein had been born fifty years later, his books would more have resembled the grittiness that RR put into ASOIF.
    My opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If Tolkien would have been born 50 years later he would have only written boring books that not many piples would have cared about. The power of his books was that it "created" a totally new genre. The books themselves are seriously needlessly longwinded at places, and full of unlogical choices. He wrote like a professor of literature who is interested in language (gee what a coincidence ;) not like an autor of stories.

    My opinion :) (did i mention i read the books about 10 times, since I was 11?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Myth Adventures series was very entertaining too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmmmmm adding to the list..... Inda the first of series of four Sherwood Smith....Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden, and Codex Alera, Patricia Briggs, Mercades Lackley Valdemar series... to mention a few... oh I could go on and on.... my bookshelves are full...

    ReplyDelete
  11. And were does the dark tower from Stephen King fit? (although the ending seriously sucked...)

    ReplyDelete