Friday, September 16, 2011





Kamisama, aka The French-Canadian Teaching English Using Japanese, is now officially part of the group of scums writing stuff on these boards. But I wanted my posts to be a little bit different. Put that on the fact that I was a teacher for a few years, but I wanted you guys to learn something with my posts. Not any piece of information either, nooo. My desire is to teach you things that are completely useless to know, but are still interesting. What a challenge !

So what I'll try doing, is to comment about my travels around the world and the things I see. My main focus at the moment will be Japan, as I passed the last 4 years there (I'm now in Canada for work). Let's get to it !

In Japan, they have two types of toilets, because they like to have complicated things. There's the Western style and the Japanese style toilets. Usually, big public places and most houses these days have the Western style toilets, the ones that you have in your own bathroom (unless you do your stuff in a hole like a real scum should!)

Then, you go in a less public or private bathroom (like the ones in a park, in smaller train stations, at the amusement park, etc), and this is what greets you, grinning wildly with its ceramic contour.




Now the trick with that horizontal urinal is to crouch over it to do your stuff. You have to crouch towards the flush, especially you boys; that round part sticking out of the floor is there for a reason. There's always a little water in there, so watch out for the splishy splashies. There's some kind of technique used for your pants (as you get in a crouching position, it's harder, even impossible to have your pants on as your legs are too wide apart), but I never got around to asking anybody.

It is relatively uncomfortable and quite demanding physically (because you don't want to touch anything to hold yourself, I mean, everything is so CLOSE, you just don't know what has touched what in the past).

It's a great experience, you guys should give it a try !

I'll see you next week for other Japanese goodies !

7 comments:

  1. Tu viens de ou au Quebec ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understood those "crouch over me and try to keep yourself balanced an unsoiled while doing your business" kind of toilets...

    I've been told once they were used, because they’re easy to clean. But I guess that is only a theory, because I NEVER EVER saw one that didn't look like a dinosaur with explosive diarrhea had spent many hours in there…

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg. I thought peeing in the bushes while drunk was tough, But this .. you have to do sober ... in public. Eeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Iola, you just gave me my idea for next week's post, now all I have to do is remember it ! (No it has nothing to do with peeing drunk in bushes, but I'll look into that one too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol .. I think that's a rural Alberta teenage thing. don't you agree, Bain. Yes, I'm looking at you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I remember about being drunk and in the bushes was trying to prove girls can also write their name in the snow....

    ReplyDelete