Friday, September 09, 2011

Wye Oak

After a lot of threats by that master of scum himself, I finally caved and promised I'd write about something I love to do: mast... no, wait. Music, that's it!

Prepare to gaze into the abyss called Nargoth's musical taste every now and then. It will be a review of some of my favourite bands and artists and who knows, maybe there's something in there you will like yourself!

The first band I will review is Wye Oak, an indie folk rock duo from the US of A. Their last album, Civilian, was released in March 2011 and has been a great hit with yours truly. I bought the extended version on iTunes and I love the diversity of the songs. The voice of Jenn Wasner is quite different from other female singers and I love the way she sings so very very subdued but yet powerful and colourful. The other part of the duo, Andy Stack, is bound to be ambidextrous, because with one hand he plays the drums and with the other he pounds out the bass line on a keyboard. The song "Dogs Eyes" was the very first song I sent to my girl Ciciz and I am of the opinion it's what set us off... amongst others.

A review is incomplete without a song from the album. There's one song I like in particular, and it's The Alter. It's a showcase of what these people can do. I hope you enjoyed this post and you might actually see more of me!


Now, get back to work!

6 comments:

  1. Liking it. There is something about it that makes it sound very old though. Haven't figured that out yet.

    BTW, ask Iola how you can embed those youtube clips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thanks Nargoth!
    Does the alter remind anyone else of Porpoise Song?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok don't really like the sound (not into folk), but, playing the keyboards and drumming at the same time that's beyond ambidextrous that's just freaky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got one for ya, if you've heard of Hannah Georgas:

    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-appBwYxS0[/url]

    Couldn't find a video or live one, but you get the gist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh, that didn't work so well... oh well! :P

    ReplyDelete