Thursday, April 27, 2017

blatherings from the bilge

Going to keep this ooc for now as it is simpler to process for me currently.

I just got back from the doctor where they gave me the latest results of the imaging.  The bad news is... many of the cancerous nodes have grown from 20-30 percent in size which means that chemo and my body are not keeping up with the growth rate of the demonic cancer.

The good news is that there is still hope in the form of new drug therapies based on PD-1/PD-L1 and the immune system.  These drugs "only" have a few side effects (other than extreme fatigue) which are all based around it causing the immune system to attack the victim's own body, such as colitis or other nastiness which can be very traumatic in its scope.

I had the first treatment of the PD-1 drug today.  Now it is a "wait and see" process

6 comments:

  1. I hope you are weathering the treatments alright. They'll really put you through the ringer, but I don't have to tell you that! My mom was diagnosed with stage III about 6 years ago and she's been in remission for a few years now. Keep it up!
    -Igor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, from the start my cancer has had a really high growth rate. Even removing my bladder didn't really slow it down.. it is in my lymphatic system and growing. Chances for remission are almost infinitessimal. The docs use "not a curative but could give you a few years extension ... if it is successful" as a phrase. I am glad to hear of your mother's success. Give her plenty of love and care.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for keeping us updated dear Aly. Sorry for the bad news. Hope the new therapy works better than all u had before. Stay strong (as u always are), and keep impressing us with your fighting spirit & humor. *hugs*
    And to Igor, that's a very good news to hear. I hope your mom will continue being blessed & loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kitty. I don't know how to approach things differently. I can't in good conscience "let the bastid win" and will always fight to the end even when it is a foregone conclusion.. and this fight is far from a foregone conclusion. :)

      Delete
  3. Seems that even your unwelcome growths are Scummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. certainly seems that way at times *laugh* in short form, the new drugs have as much chance of improving the situation.. as making it worse really.

      Delete