Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Strokes

After my epic fail of last week i have now reverted back to my one true love: notepad.exe... At least it won't let me down, right, Mr Notepad?

Since Wednesday is upon us it is my turn to torture your ears with some music, and after hearing Kamipoo's invention for poor round Quilp I think it's time for some proper lovin' for the old ears.

I know I promised our dear warghlord some time ago, and seeing Xmas is around the corner, I thought I'd give this band a spin. Ladies and gentlemen (as if), I present to you the band you have all been waiting for... *cue drum roll*

The Strokes

Booh, hiss... wait, what? They really are good! It's just, umm. A bit, different? Yes, that's what they are. Different. Odd maybe. Downright silly. But before I get into all that, here's a song to start you off:

Machu Picchu







Voice scaring you? It should! That's the voice of Julian Casablancas. Love it or hate it, I guess. Personally, I can't get enough of it. It's got a teasing quality that draws you in. The band started out in 1999 in New York and has made 4 studio albums, of which Angels (2011) is the latest installment. Rumours of an upcoming 5th album are also flying.

Even though Angels is really good, I have gotten really attached to Is This It, which happens to be their first album. One of the songs of that album is the following

The Modern Age







Funky as shit, right!

And seeing as they are pretty decent as a live band, here's a fun one for ya:

Barely Legal







They have made some decent video clips as well, as you can see in this song:

Under Cover Of Darkness







On second thoughts... damn that is one sucky video clip. Heh. Anyway, to finish things off, a song of their album First Impressions of Planet Earth, also a damn good one if I may say so:

Electricityscape







Cheers
Nargoth


P.S You want more, don't you... Okay. Here's a live version of Life Is Simple In The Moonlight... He sounds a bit, umm, odd...






4 comments:

  1. And in my defense, it's Wednesday here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were going to do holiday songs... booo

    But let me share with you the best of the best holiday song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGsCLS-uHao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next week is early enough for holiday songs Mistress of pain and suffering. And damn, what an awful video ;-)

    Now back to business. The Strokes. A name that I have known for more then 10 years. But until now I had no idea what kind of music they actually played. Can't remember ever seeing them live on a festival, can't remember ever thinking "I need to by me one of them fancy round shiny silver thingymabobs with The Strokes written on it". But I must admit, liking them. No music to blow your mind, but sounds like it could be a great combination with some beer and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, Gforce. I was liking a couple of these songs.

    ReplyDelete