Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tom Waits

Today is a special day. I am going to share with you one of those artists you might have heard of but always were afraid of listening to. That, or you are a big fan already.

I give you Tom Waits. Now, instead of doing the copy from Wikipedia-bit and steal all of your fun, I'll just let you look him up yourself but instead I will tell you a bit about how I found out about him.

Way back in the day, dunno, 10 years or more, I discovered Tom Waits, a voice sounding "like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car." (as described by critic Daniel Durchholz). I think it was the album "Rain Dogs". Seeing as there are no videos as of yet in this column, I might as well pop one in now:

Tango Till They're Sore


And since it's such a brilliant album, here's another one:

Walking Spanish


Now, you have to realise this is somewhere in the middle of his vast repertoire. I won't post one of every CD, since I would use up all the allocated bandwidth, so instead I will let you listen to a song from his earlier days, namely from "Small Change". Excuse the funny banter in the start.

The Piano Has Been Drinking, Not Me


And the man is still busy to this day. The same-titled track from the 2011 album "Bad as Me":

Satisfied


Now, I hope you will go out and listen to some more of this man. He is one of the greatest artists this world has ever known… No, really!

Cheers
Nargoth

7 comments:

  1. Favorite Tom Waits song:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUPRQDewJpA

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent, Narc. I've always wanted a good intro to Mr. Waits. I've liked some of what I've heard and wanted to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too!
    Surprisingly.
    And he's funny lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is funny, and the songs make me grin. But I'm not quite sure yet if I would put it on the stereo on a lazy sunday... Interesting choice Narc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. all i have to say is...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc38Uy-i1lA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been addicted to Tom Waits sinceI first heard him. Thanks for doing some good music for once!

    ReplyDelete