Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Blatherings from the Bilge

My last update mentioned that I would be receiving the results of my followup imaging on Monday and I wanted to start by apologizing for the delay, in being slow to provide the results. In this season of gratitude and thanks it is hard for me to type or speak the depths of feelings behind what has proven to be the first good news that I have received from medical personnel in probably over a year. In a visit where we were pretty certain to be recieving bad news just in case, and one of my dearest friends flew in from Norway at least partly to be there 'just in case', it was a bit of a relief when the doctor showed up with a smile.

It took a while to get through the medical terminology and phrasing but the oncologist is good and parsing downwards and wordsmithing. The final word was this... of all the spots which we know to currently be effected by the cancer, all are showing improvement and the cancer has degreed between 25 and 50% by diameter on the imaging. When you consider that 3D volume and area though it is even better. This is fabulous news indeed as it proves that the chemo regime I am currently on is proving effective.

There was much gulping of oxygen and deep sighs and relief and no small amount of tears I assure you.

The doctor did, however, go on to say that I can likely only tolerate a few more cycles of my 'hard' chemo. It has a high halflife expectancy in the human body and therefore there is a maximum volume they can realistically utilize. After that, I will likely continue on the 'soft' chemo which doesn't have the same problem and he may put me onto a secondary treatment as well. This will all be debated as we move forward and see how the hard chemo continues to effect me, to see how vicious of a hit my cellcounts continue to suffer and more.

But, in this season of thanks I wished to thank you, one and all, for the positive thoughts, the hopes, the prayers, the understanding and the patience that you have offered in these ever so chaotic days.

5 comments:

  1. So glad to here it gobbo! You were way over due and I hope it keeps improving for you. Truly something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Turducken for your kind words. Now open wide so I can shove the duck and chicken into place to ready you for the holiday feast! bwahahahahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay good news finally. Thanksgiving season is generous for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My good sir, that is radiant news! You must be glowing now!

    I am so happy you finally got some good news, and we are wishing you all the best from our tiny spot on the planet.

    Nargipoo and Cicimaid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooot! Awesome news! I know you can kick that ugly mofo's behind like there's no tomorrow! So glad to hear some good news for a change :)

    ReplyDelete