Sunday, January 22, 2012



I like to check blogs of alternative fiction writers.  I have to tell you .. I'm dismayed at what a poor job of most sites is done by author's representation or worse, their fan club.  I'm also unsure why more writers don't blog, but I suspect that a lot of authors are still of the genre that doesn't really understand computers and how much they impact most people's lives.  It's an excellent opportunity to bring a new set of fans into your world(s).

I'm pretty sure I've already shared the site of Cathrynne M. Volante.  She's not prolific, but she does write her own blog well enough that I'll find myself nodding my head in agreement, or picturing what she's talking about.  And even though I could NOT get through the last book of hers .. I'll certainly try again .. because of what I read on her site when I visit.  She's got a pretty good rant going on about girls in games this week.  At least, that's what it looked like .. I haven't read it yet, but I did see mention of Zelda, among other games.

But that's not really the point of today's column.  I ran across a listing of female alternative fiction writers -- and I followed every link of an author I recognized.   I was taken aback when I saw that Anne McCaffrey passed away in November.  If you'd not been previously introduced, she is the author who took the cliché out of 'dragon' sagas.  She dreamed up a world called Pern and populated it with people we could really like, hate, cheer on and spill a tear or two when one we loved went to their reward.

Today, I want to tell you about the trilogy that first captured my heart, and apparently the hearts of many of her peers.  It went on to win both the Hugo and Nebula awards, a feat that a female author had not previously accomplished.

Cover art for Dragonfilight by Michael Whelan

This first trilogy sets out the story of a young woman whose home and family is ripped way from her by a power hungry petty tyrant who systematically searches out her family to eliminate them in order to keep hold of his newest conquest, her family home.  You see, her home is one of the oldest 'dragon holds' on the planet, and the ruler of the Ruatha Hold is accorded the respect of all other holds, and of course, the tithes of the farmers who look to Ruatha for protection.  Legend has it that the dragons in the hold were used at one point to protect the people of the planet from some sort of skyborne menace.  Yet, most people look at them as little better than freeloading bums; the last time the dragons flew to protect the skies was over 400 years ago, and what little is known is the stuff of teaching songs that the hold harpers teach wee children. And we all know that Grimm was a story teller, not a reporter.  Right?

Cover art for Dragonquest by Michael Whelan

The first two books follow Lessa in her struggle to free the family home from its usurper, gain the trust of a dragon, re-establish Ruatha Hold to preeminance and find a way to make people believe the teaching tales of the harper halls.

The third book follows Jaxom, a new Lord Holder, who happens to have something unique on the planet ... a white dragon.   Much smaller than the rest of the dragons, Jaxom's dragon "Ruth," will prove pivotal in Lessa's plans.

Cover art for The White  Dragon by Michael Whelan

Now, these books are not without flaws.  While Ms McCaffrey does create a strong female lead, she is drawn in by the societal mores and expectations in the male dominated world that swirled around her.  Her characters reach a sort of competency and then just let the men take over.  It's a bit frustrating, but trailblazers must sometimes trade compromises they'd prefer not to make in order to get the work published.  Some of her later stores don't suffer from this same defect.  I rather expect that some of these issues will come across differently when the story eventually makes it to the silver screen.  The screenplay is in the works.  Read about it here.

If you haven't been introduced to Ms. McCaffrey, I hope you enjoy her works as much as I.  Pern books number in double digits.  She also has books about Killishandra Ree, the Crystal Singer, that I highly recommend.

9 comments:

  1. I too was dismayed with Anne McCaffreys death. My introduction to her stories was the Dragon Singer series with another female lead of Menolly in another male dominated world of the Bards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed that series as well. There was a second set of Harper Hall books that I didn't find as enjoyable as the first.

      Delete
    2. Males dominate the world!!!!

      sorry... you were making a point but I seem to have missed it ;-)

      Delete
  2. Loved Anne McCaffery as a kid. I was sad to hear of her passing :( As an aside, I just read that blog by Catherynne Valente and it is pretty awesome. Well worth the read.

    @ Ghetto -- Admittedly, men do dominate the world. But given what we have done with it I think the wiser question is, should we be allowed to? 1000s of years of history doesn't look promising for us as a gender as "leaders." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not as much a gender problem than a people problem.

      The women are how they are today because of what men did to them. We were physically stronger, in average still are, and that's just the way it is. We were programmed to provide, they were program to multiply, period.

      Now these days, women are getting stronger and men let them, are even getting "weaker" according to some. My opinion is that we're just balancing out. We'll get somewhere in the middle where women will stop complaining and men will stop thinking they're the best at everything. We'll understand we're both very talented, if we just stop getting insulted when we hear things like "women are good in a kitchen" and "men are good in lifting stuff", and just realize that those 1000's of years made us very talented, but in different areas. Doesn't mean you can't do the other though.

      Anywaaaayyyy, the point is, in the future, we'll just realize that the human specie as a whole sucks at leading whatever. Children should be the rulers. Up to 14 years-old, then you're out.

      Delete
  3. Ha, never fear Kami, my opinion of humanity in general is pretty low.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is why you are scum, Tofu...

    Now stop talking nonsense and go reread the books Iola is telling you to read!

    ReplyDelete